Kick-off Meeting for RESPOND Multilevel Governance of Mass Migration in Europe and Beyond
The kick-off meeting for RESPOND: Multilevel Governance of Mass Migration in Europe and Beyond. RESPOND project funded by the European Commission under the Horizon2020 Programme was held on April 3rd, 2018 in Istanbul at the SRII.
This meeting was organized jointly by the European Institute of İstanbul Bilgi University, the Swedish Research Institute in Istanbul (SRII), and Özyeğin University, which are the three partner organizations from Turkey within the RESPOND Consortium.
The aim of this meeting was to present the project and the team to stakeholders, and to start up a Migration Governance Network, which will allow better coordination and cooperation between the project team and related organizations. More than forty institutions, organisations and individuals were invited to the meeting based on their role in the priority areas of the RESPOND Project.
The RESPOND Project aims to provide an in-depth understanding of the governance of recent mass migration at macro, meso and micro levels through cross-country comparative research and brings together 14 partners from 7 disciplines.
PROGRAMME (15.00- 18.00)
Part I (15:00- 16:30)
Therese Hydén (Consul General of Sweden)
Dr. Kristina Josephson Hesse (Director, SRII)
Dr. Ela Gökalp-Aras (Principle Investigator of RESPOND, SRII)
Moderator: Dr. Umut Korkut (Principle Investigator of RESPOND, Glasgow Caledonian
- “Presentation of RESPOND Project”, Dr. Ela Gökalp-Aras, Principle Investigator of RESPOND, SRII)
- “Current state of refugee studies in Turkey: Challenges and Prospects”, Prof. Ayhan Kaya (Principle Investigator of RESPOND, İstanbul Bilgi University)
- “Comparison of Mass Refugee Governance Patterns in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan”, Dr. Zeynep Şahin-Mencütek (Senior Researcher of RESPOND)
- “Anthropological Research Methods for Refugee Studies”, Dr. Susan Rottmann (Principle Investigator of RESPOND, Özyeğin University)
Coffee Break (16:30- 16:45)
Part II (16:45- 18:00)
Moderator: Dr. Susan Rottmann (Principle Investigator of RESPOND, Özyeğin University)
- Voices from the Invitees (About ongoing/completed& planned projects or researches in the field of migration or related fields)
- Voices from the Syrian NGOs (Presentations by the Syrian NGOs from İstanbul, İzmir and Gaziantep)
- Open discussion to all participants
For further information about the project please click here.